/* Jazsica's Perspective: 端午节 /*

Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

端午节


一年一度的端午节又到了!!

dont tell me 端午节 is the one that needs eat moon cake ar.. i'm gonna faint..

1st time blogging about 端午节,
just a brief history about how my family celebrate this traditional day..



since young, if my memory didnt fail me.. i was around 7-8 years old..
every 端午节 all of us(my mum + her siblings and not forgetting my cousins)
 will gather at my grand parents place to wrap dumpling together..

The oily floor, the noisy kitchen, the unique charcoal smell, 
the aroma of the cooked dumpling carrying the dumplings in and out of the house to air..
children will be at the corridoor playing, at the same time ensuring that
the dumpling wouldnt get stolen..

After so many years, the scene is still so vividly displaying in my mind..

Those were my childhood days and these were the resaons
 that bond the older batch of cousins together..
Now i know, why my grand-dad insist that everyone must return every sunday for dinner..
真是用心良苦



All these were events before my grand-dad passed away..
now that he had left.. things became a liitle different..

instead of gathering at my grand parents place..
each family wrap their own style of dumpling..

as you can see below, these 黑黑的, 一粒一粒的 are not chocolates..
these are red bean paste.. LOL.. my fave style of dumpling..


each of my mum sibling have different kind of favours,
dried oyster ones, hei bi hiam ones, red bean ones, bean with rice ones..
i think we can open a dumpling business already.. lol


The whole process of producing a dumpling is very tedious..
buying meat, to cutting it all up+ marinating
buying of spices,fry it, grind it into powder
buying fresh shallot,chopped, fry
cooking meat, mushrooms,栗子(still need to pick out dirt)
washing the leaves
soaking the glutinous rice(1hr) rice,stir-fry it
prepare the charcoal, 看火,加碳
wrapping it,cooking it (2hrs)..

sometimes, i really admire my mum..
she's like a 女超人, she has the energy to do all these..
now you know why dumpling is retailing at $3 /pc.. LOL

its a must to cook dumpling on charcoal.. 
if not, the dumpling taste horrendous. Tested and Proven
i've no idea why, probably is the temperature of the fire..

Above are the ingredients:
bamboo leaves
  (forgot to mention another stuff i'm allegic to,bamboo leaves, 
now i've red spots on my hands,even though i'm allegic to it..
 but i still have to wash it every year.. LOL..)
meat with all the spices and cooked
glutinous rice stir-fried with sauce
not forgetting the fire~~

My mum and ah ma teaching me how to wrap~

1st: rice to fill up the bottom
2nd: add the meat, red bean, mushroom and 栗子.
3rd: cover the ingredients with another round of rice..
4th: fold and tie it up..

it may sound simple..
but if the dumpling is not properly folded, it will leak out..
if the string is tied too tightly, it will go out of shape..
好难啊!!!

并肩作战


---Favourite shots of the day---




This year i improved, i wrap 5 of them,
and everyone survived the 2 hour  sauna, came out in 1 piece..

unlike last year.. i wrap 2, both of them leaked out..zzzzz

gonna try harder next year =)
i wan to carry on the tradition..heh~ if i can la..

gawd~ i can imaging the red spots on my hands next year..
again...............

2 comments:

chopchop said...

haha...I remember those old days too...nostalgic o(><)o

Iriene said...

Pls do carry on the tradition. I have lost that touch since. My last helping out session was when I was 13 yrs old... My mum don't do anymore. The one surviving in my family is my eldest sis-in-law..5 Stars for her!

Post a Comment

 
*/